Saturday, April 14, 2012

Sunday School Song Canvases

I have had these canvases done and in place for a long time, but I have never gotten around to posting about them.  I thought it was a fun project and I love the results, so I decided to share them.


Before Cora was born (2 years ago!) I saw a couple of canvases on Etsy that gave me inspiration. They were kind of like subway signs, but they had other sayings on them.  The one thing that I wanted with mine was color. I wanted them to match some of the colors in her room and not just be black and white. I was pretty sure I could create what I wanted myself using my Cricut, so I gave it a whirl.

I bought 2 16x20 inch gallery wrapped canvas from Michael's (with my coupons!)  I then painted the whole canvases with black acrylic paint and waited for them to dry.  I liked the weathered, worn look from the canvases that I saw on Etsy, so I aggressively sanded my canvases all over and especially concentrated on the edges.



The most difficult part about the project was getting the sizes of the letters just right.  I first sketched out the canvas and placed the words in lines how I wanted them to appear.  I then experimented cutting out different sizes of letters using white printer paper.  I actually cut out all of the letters in white just so that I could lay them all out on the canvas and get the right size before I made my final cuts. I free-hand cut the sun (it is a little bit rough) and I used a couple of different cartridges for the flowers, beanstalk, bird and butterfly.



I'm very pleased with the way they turned out! More than once when I was singing Cora to sleep and I ran out of songs, I would just glance up and use these two.  We have all had those long nights, right?  She now really enjoys singing and these are two of her favorite songs.

If anyone needs to know the exact cartridges I used, let me know.  It has been a long time, but I can figure it out.

I was featured!






Link Parties:

Saturday: Tatertos and Jello, Family Ever After,   Young and Crafty, Be Different...Act Normal,  Funky Junk Interiors, To Sew With Love, Bubbly Nature Creations, Serenity You, A Vision to Remember, Craft Envy, 
Sunday: Under the Table Dreaming, I Heart Nap Time, The Girl Creative,  Petite Hermine, Nifty Thrifty Things, Randee's Organized Chaos, A Rosie Sweet Home
Monday: Polly Want a Crafter? Skip to my Lou, C.R.A.F.T., Polish the Stars, Keeping it Simple, Craft-O-Maniac, Lines Across My Face, DIY Home Sweet HomeSew Can Do, Marvelously Messy, Sew Chatty , Singing Three Little Birds An Original Belle,  Bringing Beauty, Making the World Cuter, Sumo's Sweet Stuff,  Embellishing Life Everyday, Its So Very Cheri,  So Very Creative,  Colours Dekor, Be Colorful, Kampen Lane Designs, Our Delightful Home
Tuesday: Mommy By Day Crafter By Night,  How to Craft - Today's Creative Blog, Tip JunkieA Bowl Full of Lemons, Cherished Bliss, Funky Polkadot Giraffe, Chef In Training, Type A Decorating, Me and My Boys, Not Just a Housewife, Ladybug Blessings, New Nostalgia, I'm Topsy Turvy  
Wednesday: Sugar and Dots, Some Day Crafts, Sew Much Ado, Creations by Kara, DIY By Design, My Girlish Whims, Handy Man, Crafty Woman, Junk In Their Trunk, The Shady Porch, Jaqs Studio, Tales of a Trophy Wife, Ginger Snap Crafts,  The Sasse Life, Passionately Artistic, Southern Lovely, The DIY Dreamer,  

18 comments:

  1. I love these! So bright and colorful plus I love that you put the songs on there! Thanks for sharing! xoxo- Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are super creative! Well done!
    http://dixie-n-dottie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:35 PM

    aaawww.. that is sooooooooooooo cute!! gorgeous!! So bright, beautiful and cheerful.. and such a pretty way to put up a little prayer.. Lovely!! Thanks for sharing this..and linking it to Colours Dekor.. totally makes my day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is to stinking cute. What a great job. I would love it if you showed it off at my new linky party @ Kampenlane.com.

    I can't wait to see what else you create.

    ~Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are so sweet! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are gorgeous, I love 'Little light of mine' so apt for a childs room.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are so adorable, you did such a great job on them! Thanks for linking up to Party Time at So Very Creative!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an adorable project! They look fantastic in the room. Megan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it. Thanks for sharing at the Sunday Round Up. I'm now following your wonderful blog.
    Rose @ http://www.arosiesweethome.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. How sweet. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are so cute and they look great above the crib! Thank you for sharing at Bringing Beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such a great idea! I would love for you to link upto my Linky Party via: http://ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com/2012/04/live-linky-party-10.html

    Mrs. Delightful
    www.ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. gorgeous!!
    Thanks for sharing on Serenity Saturday xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are so cute! just the right accessory for the room! thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So sweet and it is fun to see black brought into a nursery for something unexpected. I really like it. Thanks for sharing your creation on BeColorful this week.
    pam

    ReplyDelete
  16. I thought this was so fun, I featured it this week. Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous9:04 AM

    we are so doing this in our music room at church . thanks for sharing! did you ever fine the cartridge you used? my friend is using her machine to cut out this week. We are planning for four though, adding He's Got the Whole World in His Hands and Jesus Loves me in order to fill a wall...

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nikki Hill10:36 PM

    I want to buy this from you! I love them both! If you decide to make more and sell them, which I think you should, please email and let me know! My daughter lives "this little light"...I want to hang these on her walls...email is nyah645@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete